1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?When we were modelling, we had difficulties with the dimensions and creating a system that will for sure work. As for the dimensions, we were unsure about the dimensions of each part of the model. Sometimes, the dimensions will not fit and we would have to redo, redraw and cut out the part again. We did discuss and came up with an idea to make the model move in the order, but we were unsure if the structure will work well without building it and testing it out. Therefore, we had to retry and recreate a new structure and test it out many times, before it works.2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?One of the key takeaways is that every part of the structure is significant as it will affect the outcome. If a part was designed or build with error, it will affect the entire structure and it cannot work as it should be.
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?During the modeling stage, the difficulties we faced were not getting the measurements correct and how we were suppose to build the structure and where to put the mechanisms. We also had some limitations like the type and amount of materials we are suppose to use and amount of time given. The biggest difficulty we faced was not knowing the errors that might happen since we did not have enough materials or time to make a prototype before we could make the actual product.2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?A key takeaway from today's activity is how to build a moving structure and what we are not supposed to do that will affect the structure itself.
What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?Some difficulties that my group encountered were that we are scared that our model will not work and we could not get the correct measurements, either the cut-outs too short or too long. We also have some difficulties in trying to find out where the linkages should be attached to such as the fixed pivots and the movable pivots. As a result, we tried to try out the model first using the notice board. However, our models failed as the elephant’s head could not return back to its own original position after it went down. Our bird’s model was too small and we do not have the time to amend it. As a result, we have to minimise the space of the bird’s model.2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?Some of the key takeaways from today’s activity are we need to plan out and visualise how our model will look like. We must also know whether the pivots should be fixed or movable for the model to be able to move. Every part in the model plays a part. If one part is done wrongly and fails to work , it will affect the whole model, causing it not to work like what is expected.
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?Some of the difficulties encountered was that we were unsure of where to place the pivots and in which way as we were not too sure about linkages. We had a hard time visualizing the linkage so that we are able to place the pivots in the accurate position to make it move. So, we just tried what we have thought of so far and assembled it. That was when we realized we place the pivots wrongly. The model did not move the way we wanted it to, so we had to redo our model and we took quite a fair bit of time on thinking about the positions of the pivots. 2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?The key takeaways from today's lesson is that we need to consider carefully before making our model. For example, the position of our pivots are important and it can affect the movement. Even if it is fixed or movable, it can make a big difference to the movement of the model.
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?the size of the toy was important.If it is too small there is going to be a problem putting in the joints.If it is too big we will waste a lot of material to make it.Time was also an issue,as we could not make the toy how it was supposed to work at the first time,so we have to use some time to improvise and improve on the model.The positioning of the pivots and other important mechanisms of the toy as an extra pivot could make movement awkward while a pivot less might prevent us the toy from moving correctly.We also had not much experience in this so we did not know what errors to expect.2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?Planning is crucial,as it can help us preventing mistakes,and help us on saving time and materials.I also think that prototypes should be made first,a smaller version as it could help us to see better how the toy would make if certain mechanisms were to be placed at certain points.
1. What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?Some of the difficulties I encountered during the modelling stage is deciding on the main design. After that, we had to decide on which points were movable and which were fixed, and whether to use the pins, fasteners or tape. We also had to consider what would happen and the impact it would have on the whole movement. Mainly, my group’s Elephant was not very good. The Elephant head was going in a oscillating motion but our input was in a reciprocating motion and it was not very smooth. We were also lacking the guiders, causing problems with the movement of the head.2. What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?Some of the key takeaways from today’s activity is that guiders definitely must be added, because it helps to guide the linkages and enable better, smoother and guided motion. Also, three linkages cannot be connected together in one point as it will cause the point to be fixed and movement cannot happen (Example is the oscillating motion of the wings). Furthermore, rubber bands, or compressed or tensional springs can be used as guiders, besides ice-cream sticks. It makes sure that the linkages moves in the right and wanted direction.
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modeling stage?I had a bit of problems visualizing how the final design of the model would look like, therefore some of my teammates became a bit frustrated over that as they had to waste time trying to explain the design of the model to me. We also did not plan our time and division of labour well and ended up being unable to start on the second question. There were also some disagreements within the team on what joints should be used to make the movement of the elephant’s head as smooth as possible.2)What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?I have learnt that time management is vital in the completion of work and sometimes, too many chefs spoil the dish. Therefore, I think that my team and I should have split into pairs so that we could tackle both questions. I should also make a more independent attempts to understand my teammates’ proposed designs without bothering them. I also learnt how lever can exist in the designing of today’s model as I was not able to see it initially.Lucas Chia
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modeling stage?the size of the links were hard to gauge and we usually had to extend out pieces with more paper.Sometimes, it doesn't move properly and we have to start from scratch again. Our conections were also quite loose (for the bird) due to the model being too small.2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?Planning is important for the model to work. Pivoting has lots of great uses and can even be used as a may of connecting imput and output motion. There are many materials, which are used in various ways to an advantage (ice cream sticks work better than card for links).
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modeling stage?We did not have much difficulty as we planned on paper first, and then made the model2) I learnt that when something fails, you have to improvise. We used ice cream sticks to strengthen our "Levers" so as there to be more support
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?When modelling, we faced difficulties such as how to make up the linkage. But after that, we were limited by the lack of materials we needed. But we overcame that through the use of substituition. 2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?We must be flexible and not be with one straight mind. We can use something as something else, without realising.
1)Some of the problems we encountered was we could not agree on what material to use to create the levers and buttons, as although the vanguard sheet was easier to cut and shape, it was very flexible and bent easily. On the contrary, ice cream sticks were stronger but could take too long to shape and glue.2)We should be open to using other materials and not immediately assume that there would not be time. We should also plan our designs on paper in advance, no matter how ugly, so as to capture our thoughts as we probably would forget them by the time we start creating the model.
1.) Some of the difficulties was like trying to think up of how to make a linkage and how to stop the linkage from bending since we could only make it out from paper. Another difficulty was also trying to get the pivots to be fixed or move.2.)Some key takeaways from today's lesson is how linkages are used, in what form, how effective it is and what different kinds of pivots are there.
1)Some of the difficulties we encountered were that the mechanism we planned on paper did not work. We also did not know where to put the fixed and movable pivots in order to make it work, and we had to experiment with it.2)Some of the key takeaways are that pivots must be placed at the right spot and the mechanisms be of the right size for it to work. Guides also help the mechanisms to work smoothly.
1) Some of the difficulties we encountered was the part when we had to make the elephant. First of all we don't know how to draw the elephant and this slows as down and secondly, we spend way too much time on the first task— the elephant one. This led as to having not enough time to finish the second task.2) Some of the good key take aways are that we should plan things properly before even starting the work and also we should manage our time more proparly so we don't have to rush through the second task.
1) What are some of the difficulties encountered during the modelling stage?The difficulties we encountered were such as being able to properly visualise the product whether it can work or not with the types of linkages we were using and took a lot of time to decide the linkages. In the end, when it did not work, we redid the the product which then wasted time.2) What are some of the key takeaways from today's activity?To create product needs lots of planning, prototyping and managing of our time. I also felt that the wrong type of linkages chosen would actually cause the whole product to not operate the way we want it to.